Friday, February 10, 2012

Perspective?

Have you ever done something innocently enough, to have it revealed in the light of a different perspective?  And do you know what usually sends me emotionally sprawling on my face?  My sponsor kids.

I sponsor a child in Africa.  I gave an extra $20 for her Christmas present last year, which I was feeling kinda bad about—I wished it could have been more.  I just received a “thank you” for what it purchased for her—a pair of shoes, and cloth.  (To be fair, when you give extra for Christmas, it goes into a “pool” and is distributed evenly among the children.  I feel that’s fair.)

But, anyway, this was her Christmas.  Shoes and cloth.  She and her mother are very poor, and I don’t know of any details of what all she receives other than this.  I only know the “thank-you’s” that come in the mail are only for those things that came indirectly from me.

Then I thought of ME in comparison to her. 

When I was her age (12), and would I have received shoes and cloth as a gift from someone, I can tell you what my reaction would have been.  I would have smiled and thanked the person (because that’s how my Mother taught me to behave) but, honestly, deep down, I WOULD have been very disappointed.  Especially when friends would have been telling me about presents they received, which I know I would have thought were so much better.  More “cool.”

Then I thought about her again.  You know, to her that gift may have been everything!  Her thanks may have been an expression of sincere love and honest appreciation.

Has living in America dulled my sense of appreciation?  I grew up and didn’t really know “need.”  I had a place to live, food to eat, an education, clothes….and, though money was an issue, I always had some of my “wants” met. 

What does this say about our society?  Surely, I’m not the only one to realize that something had died deep within…until Jesus sent me a little girl in Africa who helped open my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Pandy, I know of what you speak. We sponsor two pre-teens in Honduras and usually just send extra money...but at Christmas we send a small box. One of the things we always send is a toothbrush and toothpaste. The little boy, Anderson, has only been with us a short time and this was the first time he got a box. His thank you note mentioned the toothbrush "because I didn't have one." The little bit we can do for these kids is so appreciated....<3 :)+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for opening our eyes, too. It is too easy to think of ourselves before others. Shoes and cloth might just have been what she needed more than anything! God knows!
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!