Thursday, February 2, 2012

Marriage and Home and Life and Love

I’m on a nostalgia kick, here.  I keep this picture on my desk.  It’s probably one of my favorite pictures of Mother and Daddy.  Photographically, it wouldn’t win any awards.  You can’t see their faces.  But it’s one of those pictures that, for me, speaks volumes.

I remember taking it ... I was only about eight or ten years old.  I was sitting on the staircase behind them.  I see so very much in this picture ... had to be winter because of the boots to the left of the front door, and Daddy’s sweater, and Mother’s slipper-socks.  Daddy is standing there, looking out the window which looked out over the valley ... what was he thinking?  Was he imagining?  Dreaming?  Trying to sort out a problem?  Or simply thinking about shoveling more snow tomorrow?  Mother, ever present, looking up at him ... in love? (Always ... she adored him.)  Talking?  Dreaming with him, or problem-solving with him?  His arm around her shoulder (there was always physical contact between them) ... drawing her close ... in love? (Always.) ... maybe protection?  And there was our little poodle, Smoky, bottom center, gazing up at the both of them.

Taking that picture at such a young age, it was like reading a living example of what Marriage and Home and Life and Love is all about, should be about.  Not a lot of money, but more than enough of themselves to go around.  I’m sure, though, that this picture draws only me.  And it does every time I look at it.  So blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Your eyes see so much more that most of us and what a beautiful tribute to your Mom and Dad! Thank you for sharing your memories.
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet picture. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's the little things that leave such a lasting impression on us and our children. Dottie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!