Thursday, March 8, 2012

Poetry Pause -- He Loved Trains

I can now only remember
bits and pieces of his face
as if a jigsaw puzzle
had been turned upside down
and there! on the floor
his crooked-tooth smile,
a pair of blue eyes with pale lashes,
a thatch of hair
the color of blond strawberries....

It's difficult, though,
to put the puzzle back together,
as if Time and my memory
conspire to fade
the only mental portrait of my brother
that I have.

Oh, I could pll out
any one of a hundred photos,
but it seems that Kodak is cheating
not to have mementoed the power of his stance,
the strength of arms which held love,
his splay-footed walk....

But worse,
the sound of his voice
and his laugh--these are growing still.
They are almost
as quiet as ashes scattered
along railroad tracks
in Virginia.

by Pandora
Mirage 2000
Literary & Arts magazine

This is a poem I wrote about my oldest brother, Rick.  Born October 18, 1942 and died November 4, 1996.  He passed away from lung cancer.  I so much looked up to him...I wonder if he ever knew how much.  Rick, I loved you then, and I love you now.  We all do.

3 comments:

  1. What a heart wrenching poem. You have a wonderful way with words....and I have a feeling he KNEW just how much you loved him...even if you never said- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your brother! Maybe our hearts don't hold pictures forever, but the love will always be inside of you and I believe he knew how much you loved him and still do.
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!