Thursday, March 15, 2012

Makeit Simple! -- CrockPotting

I LOVE to use my crock pot!!!  Even when just throwing food in it to cook and blend together, rarely does it come out “icky!”  That encourages me to be even more creative…and bold.

For example, I decided to crock pot my two skinless, boneless chicken breasts.  There they were.  In the crock pot, cooking from a frozen state.  Pale and…well…lifeless.  Which, in retrospect, is good for those times when you’re cooking something…don’t want anything flopping around in there – “Let me out!  Let me out”  But I digress….

How to spruce up my chicken?  I was going for the spice cabinet, but I always use the same old spices in the same old way.  Hmmmmmmmmmm…?

Well, hey, I’ve been freezing pulp from my juicer.  Rummaged through the freezer and found a few small bags.  Hmmm…this is a dark red…wonder what it is.  Opened the bag and took a taste…hmmmm…no clue.  But it has to be pulp from some kind of fruit…into the crock pot it went.

Then I thought about the small red potatoes I have in the refrigerator.  Grabbed a few, washed, halved and threw ‘em in the crock pot.  Carrots?  Sure!  Why not?  There are three Roma tomatoes just sitting in the crisper.  Removed those “cores” where the stem attaches and added them…didn’t cut them up, just put them in whole.  Don’t know whether that will work or not…we’ll see!

Now, I’m big on getting a lot of fresh veggies and then freezing them.  I found a bag of frozen onion pieces and green pepper “hunks.”  Ever since passing 50 years of age, I have difficulty eating green peppers in food.  I love them, but my body doesn’t.  So I compromise.  The veggie “chunks” are for the flavor, but I don’t have to eat them.  Crock pot!

Okay!  I’m starting to loosen up here and my freezer door is open!  Frozen asparagus spears!  Frozen broccoli!  AH!  A hunk of frozen pineapple from the ones I use to make morning smoothies!  FROZEN BANANAS!  Nah…bananas are a little over-the-top, even for me!

Herbs.  I usually have a small herb garden on my patio.  Last time, I dried basil and parsley when the season was over.  Took some of both, pulverized between my fingers, and sprinkled it in.

One of the big pluses about this is that it is Gluten-free.  There seems to be more and more research tying MS (and other diseases) to Gluten.  I truly do feel better when I can cut out the Gluten, but that's not an easy task.  Read labels--it's in EVERYTHING!  But that subject is for another blog on another day!

Now to let the whole Megillah* cook and simmer and blend.  I don’t want to be premature, but it smells heavenly so far!
(*in honor of Purim last week!)


5 comments:

  1. Well, you KNOW you have to tell us how it tastes! Sounds pretty good- I can't eat peppers either anymore. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really good!!!! There was enough sweetness to satisfy, not not enough to say that it was "sweet." Had the faint flavors of the green pepper and onion, but not enough to have my body rebel! Does that make sense? Really, the chicken was phenomenal!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo, what time is dinner??? Your house always smells good, anyhow! This has gotta be yummy!
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess dinner-time will be when you guys are at my door!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds sooo good. I love to do the 'toss it in the pot' soup, must try it in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!