Monday, April 16, 2012

Poetry Pause - Ghost of the Forest

Nestled deep within the woods
runs a line of abandoned railroad tracks--
rails now rusted,
wooden ties weathered
or missing altogether.
Tall weeds and grasses grow
giving testimony to the passage of years
since this forgotten line
was active through this woodland.
Are there quiet memories held tightly
in twisted boughs laced overhead?
Or, when stars swirl through the sky,
do they still hear the whistle
blowing through the night?

by Pandora

Manna
Spring 1993 - Volume 14 Issue 1

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this one! And, the photo is perfect! This just makes me feel like I am right there alongside the tracks!
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved trains. He had a model railroad set up in our basement next to the rec room. People were amazed when seeing the detail he put into it.
    When I go to his grave the trains going through town are blowing their whistle at the crossings & I feel like he is talking to me.
    Does that sound crazy?
    I miss him so much. It has been 2 1/2 years since he died of lung cancer

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that does not seem crazy at all. Thank you for sharing that part of your life--that very special place. And I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!