Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wait a minute Mister Postman


I am a dyed-in-the-wool letter-writer.  Email is fine for exchanging jokes, sharing photos and short updates with friends on the other side of the country or just down the street.  But, there’s just SOMEthing about receiving a letter or card in the mail from a good friend, addressed to you alone.  I think it’s knowing that someone cares enough to want to share this piece of their life with you.  It’s knowing that your friend knows that this could be oh-so-boring to other people – “I made a good, strong, hot pot of coffee this morning.  It’s gray and raining buckets here.  I have a massive headache, but I’m still going to try to do some writing this afternoon….” 

But Friendship is the bond between you.  It’s knowing that, upon opening this envelope, I am about to be transported miles from my home to a small, friendly kitchen in another part of the country…another part of the world.  I can almost see my friend’s face through the steam from the cup of coffee…almost inhale the woodsy fragrances of her home…almost hear soft strains of music wafting from the dining room…almost feel the warmth and silky fur of her cat on my lap…almost as good as being right there with her.

…I must be off now.  I think I’m going to go write a letter and mail some love.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! This is exactly what writing letters is all about and why we should make an effort to do it more often. Email and texting are so impersonal. They serve a purpose, but a letter says it better! Oh my, a rhyme.
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an aunt that loves to write letters and it is NICE to receive those in the MAIL. We are so used to short tweets and FB we forget how to really write with a pen.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!