Monday, January 30, 2012

Computer Literacy


It all began innocently enough.  I am not very computer literate.  I mean, I can edit photos.  I do documents in the word processing side of it.  I make greeting cards in Publisher.  And email.  So when I couldn’t download a game, I emailed my “computer guru” friend, “It’s telling me there’s not enough space.”  His response: “That’s impossible.  I’ll come and look at it.”

He did.  And you know that little pie chart that shows you how much space you have?  My pie was solid blue.  My friend, “How did you DO this?!”  My response was a deer-in-the-headlights look.  He continued, “This is a 7 gig hard drive!  It’s FULL!”

Now, this means basically nothing to me.  I have no concept whatsoever of how large a gigabyte is, nor kilobytes, megabytes, nor any of that.  I’m more of a “visual person.”  I can take a 5-lb. bag of flour, pour it into a bowl and, if it overflows, I need less flour or a bigger bowl.

“You can keep working,” he said.  But he was muttering as he left, “I gotta research this…how in the world…?”

So I just won’t play games for now.  Not that I’m a big “gamer” to begin with.  There are less than a dozen games downloaded to my computer – the usual like Solitaire, maybe two or three hidden object games, a word game, a trivia game….

I can write letters, get and send email and download photos.  That’ll tide me over for a while.

When I know something, you’ll know, too.

Wonder how many gallons are IN a gigabyte?

3 comments:

  1. Are you saying you are not a geek or a nerd? Don't be so hard on yourself...you get around on that computer pretty well for a non-geeky person! Carry on!
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi (Gabriella Stansberry)January 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

    Pandora, that's too funny. But Facebook games do hog memory. I find I have to constantly be emptying cache and running Mac's disk utility. Hugely time consuming and such a shame, some of their games are great. If you find out more let us know and especially just how many gallons there are in one gigabyte. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now this is interesting. I wasn't even thinking about Facebook games! Oh well.... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!